Vitamin Z founders Geoff Barradale and Nick Lockwood, both just 25 years old, were born and raised in the industrial wastelands of Northern England's Sheffield, a city whose pop heritage includes such notables as Dave Berry and Joe Cocker, as well as, more recently, Human League and Cabaret Voltaire. The group originally took shape around a loose-knit collection of local musicians who came together in a common rehearsal space. Barradale and Lockwood, recognizing early their mutual affinity for melodic evocative modern music, began developing material together, eventually forming a group that performed for increasingly enthusiastic crowds in and around their home town. Prior to their signing to Geffen Records, the band cut some sides for PolyGram, meanwhile building a solid and growing reputation as a galvanic live unit.
Barradale and Lockwood next traveled south to London to record their Geffen debut, choosing the famed Abbey Road Studios to cut the tracks that would eventually comprise Rites Of Passage. Assisting the duo was a stellar cast of supporting musicians, including Peter Gabriel, drummer Jerry Marotta, Chris Merrick Hughes, (percussionist for Adam Ant), guitarist Neil Hubbard, violinist Simon House and arranger Ann Dudley.
An especially integral part of the Rites Of Passage sessions was guitarist David Rhodes, perhaps best known for his work with Peter Gabriel and Blancmange. David went on to become a full-fledged member of Vitamin Z, based on the creative chemistry among the young artists.
Produced and recorded by Ross Cullum, Rites Of Passage spotlights eight Barradale/Lockwood originals including their debut single "Burning Flame."
1. Vitamin Z - Burning Flame (3:52)2. Vitamin Z - Circus Ring (5:59)
3. Vitamin Z - Hi Hi Friend (4:47)
4. Vitamin Z - Everytime That I See You (3:34)
5. Vitamin Z - Casablanca (5:34)
6. Vitamin Z - Angela (4:48)
7. Vitamin Z - Anybody Out There (5:27)
8. Vitamin Z - Something We Can Do (5:14)
9. Vitamin Z - Burning Flame (Extended Remix) (7:02)
10. Vitamin Z - Burning Flame (Dub Version) (6:05)
11. Vitamin Z - Burn For You (bonus track) (4:03)
12. Vitamin Z - Winds Of Change (bonus track) (3:05)